Thursday, October 16, 2014

Survey: Have You Heard?

Doing field research I set up a survey that asks twenty people two simple questions. Do you like hip-hop/rap, and have you ever heard of the SHHO? I conducted this survey in the student center food courts and tried to get as varied an audience as I could as to not skew the data. Little to my surprise the percentage of people who liked hip-hop and who had never heard of the Student Hip-Hop Organization was quite high. Around 60% of people surveyed admitted they like hip-hop, of this sub-group, all but one person said that they had heard of the Student Hip-Hop Organization. Of the greater populous surveyed as well, only three people had ever heard of the organization. To my dismay, these results were exactly what I had predicted would be the case. The organization has done a very poor job getting itself out there to the student body this year. I say this year because based on the twitter account's activity about a year ago, the account was active, events were being planned, and people were being invited to them. I'm not sure what happened, however this decline in interaction with the student base has created a deterioration of pertinence for the club.

I want to know how the club can know that they would be a popular organization to join, given such a diverse campus that there are bound to be a myriad of people who would want to become part of it. Why has their twitter gone dormant? At this point, with barely being able to get  hold of any officers in the club, and the down right lack of exposure they have, whether or no the cub has tanked. It seems highly unlikely, yet there is hardly any other way to describe what exactly has happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment