Thursday, October 2, 2014

Hip-Hop and Dance

Moving along the outskirts of my topic, I have decided to hone in on the dance aspect of hip-hop that accompanies the lyrical powerhouse of the culture. The following information was found at the following address: http://www.hiphopunite.com/index-styles.html

Much like in the piece explaining the origins of hip-hop, this article explains how they came to manifest side by side with the blossoming on stage hip-hop scene. Traditional hip-hop dancing includes the well known trio of popping, locking, and dropping(HipHopUnite). Locking, is akin to the "robot" in how the dancer "freezes" their body during the dance in a locked position and then moving fluidly out of it or into another lock. Popping on the other hand is more similar to the "wave". This style is characterized by a general flow in the dance, like a "force of energy moving through the body" and is much more fluid dancing style as opposed to locking.

Neat article on hip-hop dancing, I wasn't aware there were so many terms used for some of the more mundane looking features of the dances. I would like to know how some of the dance moves became common place within the genre of dance, as there doesn't seem to be any major precursors to the dancing styles that developed. I am probably most interested in the beginnings of locking, as it is such a rigid dancing style I would be very intrigued to find out who the main cavalier was for the style and how they developed such a means of dancing.

1 comment:

  1. I like that fact that you focus on the dance aspect of hip hop for this blog post! I used to do competitive dance and we did a lot of these moves you are talking about so it is easy for me to relate!

    ReplyDelete